Open Accessibility Menu

The Radiology Team

When you have a radiology procedure or test, our entire team may working on your behalf, including radiologists, technologists, nurses and other Valley Presbyterian Hospital staff.


A radiologist is a doctor who specializes in radiology, has four to six years of training after medical school and is board certified. As the head of the team, they review test results, perform interventional procedures and treatments, and may consult with other doctors.

Radiologic Technologist (RT)

A radiologic technologist (RT) manages various types of radiology tests, including X-rays, CT scans, MRI scans, mammograms, and ultrasound. RTs train for a minimum of two to four years. They are licensed by the State of California and certified by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT).

Registered Vascular Sonographer (RVT)

A registered vascular sonographer (RVT) specializes in ultrasonic imaging tests in the vascular lab. In addition to classroom education, RVTs complete formal supervised training to test and examine blood vessels throughout the body that feed organs and tissues. They are accredited by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS).

Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (RDMS)

A registered diagnostic medical sonographer (RDMS) is trained in ultrasonic imaging tests and may specialize in the abdomen, breast, fetal echocardiography, obstetrics and gynecology, and pediatrics. In addition to formal supervised training, they are accredited by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS).

Nurse (RN)

Nurses help when patients receive anesthesia, IVs, medication and other procedures. They explain radiology procedures to patients, document their status, and sometimes monitor a patient's condition, if needed.

Medical Physicist

Medical physicists make sure radiation is measured correctly, set guidelines for procedures and monitor equipment. They also work with the team in the planning of treatments. They are certified by the American Board of Radiology or the American Board of Medical Physics, and have a master's or doctorate degree.