Built on a small plot of land in Van Nuys, Valley Presbyterian Hospital first opened to the community in 1958 with only 63 beds. The hospital facilities and services expanded vastly over the past several decades, rising to meet the growing needs of the San Fernando Valley community. Today, we have 350 beds and are one of the largest independent, nonprofit community hospitals in the San Fernando Valley.

We serve thousands of individuals and families each year, and offer a full range of health care services. Our Maternity Services unit is one of the busiest in the San Fernando Valley region. Our Emergency Services Department is a vital community asset, serving more than 60,000 patients each year. Specially certified to treat stroke patients, and designated as a cardiac receiving center, the hospital provides critical care services for patients with life-threatening needs. At Valley Presbyterian Hospital, we are proud to provide excellent care across many specialties, such as pediatrics, cardiology, and orthopedics, as well as many sub-specialties.

For the last 10 years in a row, Valley Presbyterian Hospital has been awarded "Best Hospital" by the readers of the LA Daily News. The hospital continues to uphold its promise to deliver high quality, patient- and family-centered care.

To learn more about Valley Presbyterian Hospital's rich history, check out the timeline below. You also may visit the hospital's Historic Hallway of photographs — located near the Main Lobby — where the hospital celebrates its major milestones and honors its leaders and donors.

1958-1979

  • 1958 – The hospital opened its doors to the community.
  • 1961 – The hospital's three-story Circle Tower was constructed, adding 120 beds.
  • 1968 – The hospital's seven-story Circle Tower was constructed, adding 180 beds.
  • 1971 – A pediatrics unit was established, a first of its kind in the San Fernando Valley.
  • 1972­ – A neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) was established, the first of its kind in the San Fernando Valley. The hospital's first orthopedic unit also was established.
  • 1973 – The hospital's first ultrasonic diagnostic equipment was installed in the Radiology Department.
  • 1974 – The hospital held a groundbreaking ceremony for a new Health Education Center. A new Operating Room was added to meet growing surgery demands, and a post-coronary care unit opened.
  • 1975 – The hospital opened an Emergency Department.
  • 1976 – The oncology unit opened.
  • 1979 – Construction was approved for 50,000 square foot professional office building to be built on campus at 15211 Vanowen Street.

1986-1994

  • 1986 – A 4-bed pediatric intensive care (PICU) unit was created.
  • 1987 – The hospital instituted an arthroscopic surgery program, one of the first of its kind in the San Fernando Valley.
  • 1989 – The hospital's PICU was expanded.
  • 1992 – The NICU was remodeled and expanded.
  • 1994 – The Northridge earthquake struck on January 17, 1994. Valley Presbyterian was the only hospital in the immediate area to remain open and fully staffed during that emergency.

2000-Present

  • 2000 – In October, the hospital broke ground on a new, six-story patient tower.
  • 2004 – The new patient tower was dedicated on March 19. The first patients were moved in June 1.
  • 2006 – For the first time, the Hospital was voted the "Best Medical Center" in the Valley by readers of the LA Daily News.
  • 2007 – The hospital was again voted the "Best Medical Center" in the Valley by readers of the LA Daily News.
  • 2008 – A completely new cardiac cath lab opened. For the third year in a row, the Hospital was voted the "Best Medical Center" by readers of the LA Daily News.
  • 2010 – The hospital's Amputation Prevention Center was opened, the first of its kind in the Western U.S. The Center's mission was to prevent amputations caused principally by advanced diabetes. For the fifth consecutive year, the Hospital was voted the "Best Medical Center" by the readers of the LA Daily News.
  • 2011 – The hospital received certification as a Primary Stroke Center. Det Norske Veritas (DNV) was selected to replace the Joint Commission as the hospital's accrediting agency. For the sixth consecutive year, the Hospital was voted the "Best Medical Center" by the readers of the LA Daily News.
  • 2012 – The hospital opened a remodeled and expanded labor & delivery unit in June, and created an obstetrics laborist program to provide 24/7 obstetric care. For the seventh consecutive year, the Hospital was voted the "Best Medical Center" by the readers of the LA Daily News.
  • 2013 – The hospital opened a new Perinatal Center, providing perinatology, non-stress test and high-risk infant follow-up services under one roof. The hospital also opened the Hepatobiliary & Pancreas Center, providing multidisciplinary, specialized treatments to address a wide range of liver, bile duct and pancreas disorders. The hospital implemented a hospitalist program. For the eighth consecutive year, the Hospital was voted the "Best Medical Center" by the readers of the LA Daily News.
  • 2014 – The hospital completed the voluntary seismic improvements (VSI) construction project ensuring the hospital's structural compliance with state regulations. For the ninth consecutive year, the Hospital was voted the "Best Medical Center" by the readers of the LA Daily News.
  • 2015 - The hospital opened its Hyperbaric Oxygen Program, providing sophisticated treatment to help with patient's chronic wounds, overseen by VPH's Amputation Prevention Center staff. For the tenth consecutive year, the Hospital has been voted "Best Hospital" (the award was previously called "Best Medical Center") by the readers of the LA Daily News.
  • 2016 - Construction begins on an $8.4 million project to renovate and expand the Emergency Department to meet growing needs of patients and families. The hospital receives the 2016 Women's Choice Award as one of America's Best Hospitals for Patient Safety, and for the eleventh consecutive year, is voted "Best Hospital" by the readers of the LA Daily News.